Signs you’re dating a Martial Artist
- There are Gis/Doboks/Uniforms/etc. taking up closet space
- There are Gis/Doboks/Uniforms/etc. hanging in the laundry room drying
- They are adept at folding their Gi/Dobok/Uniform in a particular way, and feel the strong urge to re-fold if someone else folds it even a hair differently
- They are home anytime between 8p.m. to 10p.m. on a regular basis
- Their gear/gym bag is never quite put away
- They are near-continuously plagued by minor injuries
- They are sometimes beset by major injuries
- There’s a good chance they have completely fractured at least one bone
- There’s a good chance they have hairline fractures on one or more bone
- There’s a good chance they have at least one bruise on their body at all times
- They have probably lost count of how many bloody/fat lips they have acquired
- They have probably lost count of how many bloody/fat lips they have given
- They have probably lost count of how many times they have rolled their ankle(s)
- They have probably taped any/all of the following: fingers, toes, knees, ankles, wrists, etc.
- They know bits and pieces of the language associated with their martial art (i.e., BJJ = Portuguese, Tae Kwon-Do = Korean, etc.)
- Their gear/gym bag is selected based on how much it can hold for a tournament
- Their mouth guard is constantly floating in a bowl of denture cleaner
- They have opinions on multiple brands and styles of mouth guards
- Their non-martial arts friends don’t often mix with their martial arts friends
- They probably have a protein shake or three after training
- They probably have either multiple water bottles, or one giant water bottle. Or a combination of the two.
- They will be seen doing some martial art related moves randomly through the house
I’m sure there are more based on specific martial arts and personalities, but those are just a few that I may or may not be guilty of. Do you have more to add? Comment below!
–Kiyoshi “The Prototype”
Your #1 Canadian eh?