Goals goals goals
Yes, we enter the year 2014, year of the Horse.
The beginning of a new year in the Gregorian calendar seems like a good time to go back and look at the goals I set during 2013, and potentially revise them for 2014 and add new ones.
Let us review my accomplishments in 2013 from my goal-setting post:
- earned my blue belt in July (bonus: earned my first stripe in December)
- found a wonderful woman to be in a relationship with (bonus: her parents and my parents have met, with my aunt and uncle in tow. Double bonus: she has started BJJ)
Now let’s review my accomplishments that weren’t in my post:
- started post secondary and did quite smashingly well
- found an area to potentially major in
- became a sponsored athlete
It’s nice to cross things off the “To Do” list, and it’s really nice to add things to the list and cross them off immediately.
Now let’s see about some new goals to supplement the older ones. These are both short- and long-term goals
- compete internationally in BJJ
- create a first draft/rough draft compilation video for potential sponsors
- create a “cover letter” for potential sponsors
- gain a second sponsor
- earn my purple belt in BJJ
- figure out my Bachelor’s and Master’s degree
Like before, I’m sure unwritten goals will be accomplished alongside the written goals.
The unfortunate thing: I’ve misled myself to where the Pan-Ams are. There are the games that travel from city to city each time, which is where I thought the BJJ part was held. Turns out there are separate Pan-Ams (commonly referred to as “Pans”) in California for BJJ alone. As previously mentioned, they are ranked just below Mundials (which I spelled incorrectly last time) in terms of prestige.
In terms of BJJ tournaments, 2014 is my last year in the “adult” category. I turn 30 in October, and thus enter the “Master’s” division, but I’m sure I’ll “sneak” into the adult division in local tournaments here and there.
Well there we have it, new heights to reach.
What goals do you have set? I’d love to hear them.
–Kiyoshi “The Prototype”
Your #1 Canadian eh?